Wednesday, August 20, 2008

NOT THIS MIAMI !!!

For the last few years, I've had a "plan" to go to Disneyworld, then take 95 South through Miami to Key West, then back up on 95 to Maine. For years, I didn't have the time off, although Paul did. Now I have all the time in the world, and Paul doesn't. We also no longer have the motor home or the money for such a trip. However, Paul thought he'd satisfy my desire to see South Beach in Miami yesterday.. NOTWe set out headed East on the 10, Paul never did tell me his ultimate plan, but that came to light in the Tonto Basin, north of Globe, when he pulled out his hiking pack, extra water and walking Stick.. He planned on hiking up to the cliff dwellings.

This is a picture Paul took, the trail was too steep and the heat too much for me to even attempt. I waited at the visitor center while Paul started his hike.. Hoping he'd remember the Ranger's warning.. Africanized Bees were in the dwellings!!!
Meanwhile, I watched a very informative movie about the Salado.. The people who settled this place until 1400. 
So here's Paul. A fellow hiker took it in the dwellings. Hot tired and HE SAID out of shape.. He came away with the realization he better start getting back into condition for his Grand Canyon Hike in November!

I came home yesterday with renewed memories of Gold Canyon, where we lived for two years; our first home in AZ... About 75 miles east of where we live now. We bought the house before it was built and spent many weekends driving to Gold Canyon to view the progress. AZ was our big adventure and Gold Canyon was the background for so many memories to come. Lyndsey and Victor's Wedding, the Birth of Conner & Izabella and other memories.
We built the spa and pool so we could sit in the spa with a view of the Superstition Mountains. It turned into a "kiddy" pool for the girls.. Poor Rex, he'd just been shaved! No look for a Collie!

Family Gathering in 8-03.. Saying Goodbye to Ricky, who was leaving for College.

Family Gathering for Paul's Retirement Party, 10/03. 

We had many happy times in that house in Gold Canyon AND a killer view from our bedroom. Gold Canyon is beautiful, but after living all of my life in the Suburbs, I didn't like living so far from the nearest store.  We also had a horrible Home Owners Association, in Peralta Trails and Paul was once told he could only hang one Flag on Veterans Day, NOT the Missing in Action/ POW Flag.. That didn't go over well. In fact, we soon became proud owners of a VERY tall flag pole, put in the backyard and always displayed two flags on every holiday to follow.

After I had the heart attack, it just seemed too far from the kids. In 2005, we sold that house and moved 75 miles closer to our old home in CA. Living 35 miles West of Phoenix, instead of 40 miles East, makes weekend trips much easier and more frequent.  AND I really love the West Side of the Phoenix Valley.
Thanks for taking the time to read my blog today.

8 comments:

Jose said...

Ah, that's because the West is best. We left Los Angeles/Hacienda Heights back in 1990 and moved into Phoenix, lived 10 years in our house then moved to Avondale where we now riside. I love the area, I have everything we need within five minutes of our house. As much as the West side has a bad reputation there is just no way I would live in the East side of the valley. And you are right our drive to West Covina and La Puente where we have relatives is only 4 1/2 hours. That is not bad at all.

Betty F said...

You have that absolutely right Jose! We heard... Oh no, stay on the east side when we were looking in AZ.. On the West side, we have Glendale... Westgate! Here on the far west side, we're getting a new mall.. Life is good here on the west side!!! :) :) Neighbor!

sandy said...

That is so cool that Paul is a hiker...

Nice seeing the memories of your other house ....great pool area there.

You still live far away though from your kids....I would get so tired of that drive....

sandy said...

I read Jose mention West Covina. I lived in Covina from 1960 to 1971when I got married...still lived in an apartment there for a year or so...

those are my old stomping grounds and I also had an Orthopedic account (I had my own transcription business) and would have to deliver transcripts there a few times a week off of Francisquito off the 10 freeway.

Betty F said...

I do get tired of that drive Sandy. Small World.. Jose, You lived near to WONDERFUL women.. Lucky dog!

Brenda said...

Really enjoyed your post and pictures Betty. My friend who lives in Scottsdale took me to Superstitious Mountains many years ago, and I don't remember it very well, but the view in your pictures is awesome! Arizona is a beautiful state, every where that I have seen. My friend wanted me to go hiking with her years ago also, but for some reason we never did. What happens if you see snakes? Yikes!!

Jose said...

I posted lots of images of Westgate, what an awesome place it is. The new stadium awesome, Criquet Pavilion... yeap! awesome. PIR, Estrella Mountain Park, Luke Air force base, yeap awesome too. And I am sure that the new mall is going to be pretty awesome too. Can you tell I love the West Valley.

mig bardsley said...

What beautiful places Betty. I'm enchanted by the idea of a pool with a view :) And a superstitious view at that :)